Family Therapy: Types, Techniques and Benefits
- 10 Nov 2022
- 0 Comments
Some problems in social life affect family relations, while problems in family affect social life. The easiest way to get out of this vicious circle is therapy. With family therapy, you can strengthen family ties and find solutions to existing problems.
What is Family Therapy?
In some cases, you may not be able to overcome the problems on your own. Therapy is one type of therapy that can help you in this situation.
Family therapy is a type of therapy that aims to overcome the problems experienced in the family. It aims for families to have a more adequate marriage, family environment and social cohesion. It is done by professionals.
Why Is it Done?
The main goals of therapy are as follows:
- Maintaining family unity
- To ensure that the family reaches a certain balance
- Ensuring that conflicts are resolved in a positive way
- Developing family members' ability to cope with stress
- To provide positive communication skills to the family
- Giving people a sense of empathy
- To develop problem-solving skills
How Do You Prepare for Therapy?
You do not need to prepare for therapy in advance. Your therapist will tell you what you need to do during therapy. However, beforehand, you should make sure that family members want this therapy and believe that results will be obtained. In this way, you can get the most efficient result.
What are the Types of Family Therapy?
The main types of therapy are as follows:
- Supportive therapy: focuses on creating a safe environment where family members can openly share their feelings and receive support from their families.
- Functional therapy: is a treatment often used for young people who have problems with risky behavior, violence, or substance use.
- Internal family systems therapy: is a therapy applied to overcome mental health problems. Draws on the strengths of relationships to overcome problems.
- Psychoeducation: is a type of therapy that focuses on helping individuals in the family better understand their mental health conditions.
- Narrative therapy: is a therapy that encourages family members to tell their own stories. In this way, we gain knowledge about how experiences shape individuals and how they relate to others.
What are Therapy Techniques?
The techniques used in therapy are as follows:
- Behavioral techniques: is often used to help family members address specific issues.
- Psychodynamic techniques: aims to evaluate how each family member interprets and responds to the problems they face.
- Structural techniques: These methods focus on helping family members with the boundaries and power dynamics within the family.
What are the Benefits of Family Therapy?
Therapy has various benefits depending on the situation you are in. Its main benefits are as follows:
- It enables learning how to resolve conflicts with minimal damage to relationships.
- It addresses the difficulties of a single family member, enabling them to be overcome.
- The therapy in question focuses on communication. Therefore, it allows family members to better share their thoughts and needs.
- It ensures the protection of the mental health of family members.
- It ensures that family ties are built on stronger foundations.
What Family Therapy Can Help?
There are various methods of therapy. Therefore, the therapy to be applied varies. The most appropriate therapy for your situation is the therapy that will help you best. For this reason, you should first meet with a therapist and determine the therapy method you should take.
When Should I Talk to My Doctor?
If you think that communication with your family or within the family is problematic and you are very affected by it, you should consult with a specialist.
What Is the Best Therapy for Families?
The therapy that should be applied varies according to the existing problems. The most appropriate therapy is always the best therapy. If you are in search of where is the family therapy near me, you should know that the therapists in Onlifem are always near you.
How Does it Work?
It is a therapy that helps family members understand each other and deal with difficult emotions. It focuses on improving interactions and communication between family members. This therapy is usually; It is used when family contributes to one's difficulties or when one's problems affect other family members.
What is the Difference Between Family Counseling and Family Therapy?
Counseling is a system that directs family members about certain issues and exchanges ideas with the counselor. Family therapy, on the other hand, aims to solve certain problems.
How Long Should Therapy Take?
The duration of therapy varies according to existing problems and the response time of individuals to therapy.